Friday, September 17, 2010

FFG--Cinnamon-Oat Muffins and a Farm Photo :)

Plans4You
To find out about Friday Farm Girls at Heart, click on the link to the left and visit Lori's blog.  Then stay for a visit and chat with us!  We farm girls love company.

A farm wife must love to cook.  That's my impression, anyway.  So I guess this suburbanite can say that she is a farm girl at heart!  I love cooking, baking, and discovering new recipes.

I tend to experience two phases in my kitchen and in my life in general:
  1. The search to gather ________
  2. The effort to de-clutter ________
I have filled in that blank with many different things:  books, science supplies, hats, shoes, kitchen gadgets...  The word recipes was in that blank for several years, but I have just finished Phase #2 by getting rid of  four or five cookbooks, and combining my recipes--two overflowing binders' worth--into one binder, with space to spare.

I determined that one can have only so many recipes.  I purged several which were similar, and kept only my favorite ones in all categories--breakfasts, main dishes, breads, muffins, cakes, etc.  (Click here to see my post about my recipe binder.)

I recently found some muffin recipes unique enough to try and keep.  I kept only a few, which you'll be seeing in future Farm Girls posts.  Muffins are great--if you find a basic recipe, you can add any sort of fruit to it to change it up a bit.  Or, add some lemon or orange peel for a slightly different flavor.  That's why I'm determined, in the recipe arena, to have just a few.

Cinnamon-oat muffin with a cup of tea

Cinnamon-Oat Muffins

1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
1 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 cup cane juice crystals (or sugar)
1/3 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
1 egg
1 t pure vanilla extract

1 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon

cinnamon-sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Combine the oats and buttermilk in a bowl and let stand for ten minutes.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, cane juice crystals, sucanat, egg, and vanilla.  Add the oat mixture and stir to blend.  Add the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix well.

Spoon the batter into paper-lined muffin cups (dozen).  Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon-sugar.  Bake for 20 minutes; let cool for about five minutes before removing muffins to a cooling rack to cool.  Makes one dozen muffins.

Since we're sharing Friday Farm Girls, I leave you with this picture, just for fun.  Yes, I have been on a farm!

Not my back yard  :)

For every beast of the forest is Mine,
The cattle on a thousand hills.
I know every bird of the mountains,
And everything that moves in the field is Mine.
Psalm 50:10-11 nasb

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

3 comments:

  1. Yummy ! I want to try these. [0= And I think of what I have seen so far. This pic of the daisys are my FAV. *grin*

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool post, Christine! Remember Muffins in the Morning at Linda's house? WHAT??? YOU PURGED MY CHEAP PAPER MUFFIN RECIPE COOKBOOKS??? (Oh, I'm just kidding!) You are right, there are only so many cookbooks you need. I'm such a cookbook addict, but I think it is best to know what you eat and what you like, and go with the favs. I'll have a hard time letting go, though...you are the gifted master (miss-ture) of decluttering and organization!

    Thanks for sharing, dearest!
    Love you,
    Lori
    PS: We're enjoying colds now, too! Bryan's is on the downside, mine is just wierd and mild, and Nathan's just hit him this morning. TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I think pictures make food look yummy. I love pictures of what it's supposed to look like. I'm stopping by your blog in a moment...

    Lori, I'm so sorry about the muffin cookbooks! I did go through EVERY RECIPE and keep the ones I wanted to try. Next week will be a Beth N. recipe--knowing her, the muffins are almost guaranteed to be delicious.

    And I'm serious--we will soon have a date to organize SOMETHING in your home. Plus a date to make some cards with your new stamps!!

    Love you ladies in Jesus,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete