Saturday, September 4, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up with Canadagirl


I've enjoyed participating in the Weekly Wrap-Up; if you're interested, click on the link above to find out details!

My Home
Things are getting organized!  If I ever visit your home, tell me we're going to spend the afternoon organizing your _____, and I'll be thrilled.  This week, I participated with my friend Helen in a "project accountability" work evening (details on next week's Tackle-It Tuesday), and de-cluttered my homeschool cubby-hole cabinets in the basement.  I got rid of two overflowing boxes of books and supplies we no longer need or want.  I organized everything else, and now feel like a little piece of life is simpler and calmer.

Homeschool and College
After agonizing over almost every word in his English Comp essay, Danny put the finishing touches on and brought it to class, accompanied by Jacob.  Though he's very unsure of himself, I'm sure that he will do just fine in this class.  I'm so thankful that he's able to take it with his older brother.  What a protection and a blessing!

Thomas and I are slowly getting into a groove with schooling together.  At 14, he is a fascinating young man and it's exciting, frustrating, bewildering, and amazing to get to spend so much one-on-one time with this blessing from the Lord!

My Kitchen and Garden
I tried a new recipe this week, and will have to fiddle with ingredient amounts.  Even though they were a little dry, the maple-crumb muffins were yummy and very easy to make.

I've been so tired this week with a cold--though I've had no other symptoms--that I've not stepped into my garden too often.  Part of this afternoon is dedicated to that task.  I'm happy it's so cool outside now!!  My tomatoes have slowed way down, but I still have pole beans and will also probably pick some beets and a few carrots.

No canning this week, either, but Fernando and I stopped at the library this morning, and they had a display of canning/preserving books!  One caught my eye--Ball's Complete Book of Canning and Preserving.  It's one I've wanted for a few years.  At least I'll have this one for three weeks and a renewal!  There's a recipe for a green-tomato salsa I found that I'd like to try.  I'll let you know how that goes.

My Project Desk
Still haven't made that wedding card, but I completed a few sewing tasks.  Since July, I've been altering blouses to fit my unique shape, by finding larger blouses to fit me in the shoulders, then taking the sides in so they flare out at the bottom to give my straight waist some shape.  I've also added hooks/eyes for those immodest gaps between the buttons--do manufacturers make them gap in those particular areas on purpose???

Behind the Lens
I finally heard from the repair shop, which has kept my camera beyond three weeks now.  They have promised to overnight it to me for free once it is finished some time next week.  I plan on sending them daily reminders, since our anniversary is next weekend!! and I have something special planned for which I need my camera.  So I wait.  Meanwhile, here is a photo from my front-porch garden this past spring.

Siberian bugloss, brunnera, with purple buds.

My Nightstand
I'll be thumbing through the Ball canning book this next week, and also a book called The Art of Simple Food, by Alice Waters.  She is a passionate proponent of seasonal, local, sustainably produced foods, and breaks her book into 19 culinary lessons with everyday recipes.  I think some of the recipes are a little exotic, but there are some great, simple ideas and recipes I'd like to try.  Because of this book, I'm planning on purchasing a suribachi, a Japanese mortar and pestle with ridges in the bowl, which help when mashing garlic, herbs, and other things.  I think it will be a wonderful addition to my kitchen.

In my favorite book, we've been memorizing Proverbs 9:8-9:

Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you,
Reprove a wise man and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser,
Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
NASB

Pastor Fraley will be preaching on this chapter tomorrow at church.  As we've recited this verse over and over throughout the week, I'm struck by the earnest desire to learn from His reproof, to submit to His correction, to be quick to listen to the Holy Spirit's chastisement, especially in the little areas.  I hear myself making snippy comments to my husband, or correcting him, when I should keep my mouth shut.  (I call it my "spiritual duct tape.")  I need to be so careful to heed His nudges!!

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful that your sons are able to take that college course together. We have considered having my mother take a college class with my oldest to help him with his learning challenges.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, Yes, it's wonderful! I took a photography course (non-credit, continuing education) with Danny, too, to get him used to the classroom. There were only nine people in the class, all adults, but they were all so encouraging with him! It was a good first experience. He is so shy, I believe the Lord is allowing him to transition into full-time college by himself.

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine~

    It sounds like you had a lovely week with the exception of a brief illness. So happy to hear you're feeling better now; sickness also visited my home this last week but is gone now.

    I look forward to your new muffin recipe; muffins are very beloved around here. I, too, will have a new recipe to share soon... as soon as I photograph it. Scones.... yum! :)

    I hope you have a lovely week~
    Blessings,
    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Sweet Friend!

    Oh, I can just see Danny agonizing over an essay. :-) I'm sure, as you are, that he will do just fine in that class, and am glad he can take it w/Jacob.

    Loved your post, now have to get ready to head to school with Nathan for the afternoon.

    {{{HUGS}}} and blessings!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,

    I am starting to come up for air. I have the craft fair that I am in on Sunday but I will do what I can and don't worry about the rest. I hope you get your camera asap ! And I can totally understand the need for spiritual duct tape. Hee he I will remember that one for many years to come.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete