Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gray as a Fashion Statement?

I recently came across an article from USA Today, quoted in part here:

As more women over 40 let their gray grow, those who have none — including model Kate Moss, singers Pink and Lady Gaga and reality star Kelly Osbourne — streak or strip their tresses to become silver foxes. “The younger you are, the more interesting it is,” says Pantene colorist Danilo. “Your head becomes a jewel — metallic, reflective and eccentric.

Today's fashion-forward coifs echo those of '60s mavericks Andy Warhol, Edie Sedgwick and The Graduate's skunk-striped Anne Bancroft. The hues match fall's dominant pearl and pewter palette, but “it's women, not designers, who make this style statement: They're unafraid of gray,” says Michael Shaun Corby, Alterna Professional Haircare creative director.
Since I'm to filter all things through the Word of God, does the Bible speak to this?  Yep.

A gray head is a crown of glory;
It is found in the way of righteousness.
Proverbs 16:31 nasb

The glory of young men is their strength,
And the honor of old men is their gray hair.
Proverbs 20:29 nasb

I have never colored my hair.  Truth is, I really don't have to.  I've had a hidden streak of gray behind my left ear for at least ten years, and even now, at 45--almost--there are just a few noticeable silver strands gracing my head.  A dear friend once told me that that streak of gray was my wisdom, and I have fondly called it my "hidden wisdom" since then.

My conviction is to never color my hair.  Just read those verses again!!  God says that my gray head will be a crown of glory, a testament of my walk in His way of righteousness.  My gray head will be a sign of honor.  Remember your folks telling you to respect your elders?  I do not come from generations of Christians; however, I held my grandparents in high honor.  They had lived through the Great Depression, been touched by war, and counted every penny to make a life for their families.  We were to honor them.

Read David's cry to the Lord regarding his old age:

O God, You have taught me from my youth,
And I still declare Your wondrous deeds.
And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me,
Until I declare Your strength to this generation,
Your power to all who are to come.
Psalm 71:17-18 nasb (emphasis mine)

My children and I have sat at the feet of the gray-haired, listening to their stories, many of which shine with the faithfulness of God.

Goofy photo of Dad and me sharing stories on a couch on our front lawn.

Along with gray hair, I am going to inherit other things--creaky joints, wrinkles, sagging skin.  But that USA Today article didn't mention those things.  The article merely reflects the world's thinking.  The young can tint their hair, and the older can let their gray grow, but only because its uniqueness makes you look great--oh, but of course, you may need a tummy tuck, or a collagen treatment, or a little Botox under those sagging eyes.  And there are products you can use to keep that tinted color from turning flat and dull.  The world would rather have gray mean beauty, and fashion, not old age, not righteousness, not honor.  It just wants to make a fashion statement.

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Proverbs 31:30 nasb (emphasis mine)

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

5 comments:

  1. On a couch on the front lawn...y'all must be southern!!! :) Really, though, did you really carry the couch out there just for the photo shoot?

    Mom is doing well. You can call her anytime. If she's busy she won't be able to answer it, but you probably won't bother her since she is mostly just doing a lot of cleaning right now. She said it'd be great to see you. :) I'd told her you called.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the couch in the front lawn! You would be right at home down here. ;)

    Miss S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo & S -- We certainly thought of y'all while we were sitting on that couch! We had carried it out to rearrange furniture, and left it out there for the afternoon before transferring it to the garage. Boy, did we get some strange looks from passersby. It was definitely worth it!! :D

    Mrs. S

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My children and I have sat at the feet of the gray-haired, listening to their stories..."

    ...and I always enjoy it when your children gather around to listen to me tell stories!!! I'm honored that you've spoken so honoringly of me in this post...

    Much love (and winks),
    Lori (of much gray hair...)

    ReplyDelete