Saturday, August 28, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up with Canadagirl


Yay!  I'm participating this week!  I'm a beginner in the blogging world, but thanks to my blog angel my blog is really my blog.  I know she understands; I hope you do, too!  It has been a busy, upside-down week.  As I sit here in front of the fan trying to refuse to think about turning the a/c back on, I'll wrap things up.  :)

In my Home
Daily cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc. are all running smoothly, thanks to the help of my young men.  They've been great about grabbing the dry laundry and folding, sorting, and distributing it all.  It's nice to walk back to the task room (my pantry/laundry/mud room) and see mostly empty baskets.  Due to my compulsion to get things done, it's nice to check these chores off my list for the week.  I've accomplished something!  :)

Joe has come down with a nasty cold, and I think Danny and Thomas are next.  Joe is doing better today, but the others still have a few hard days first.  I feel so bad for them, while at the same time praying that I don't get sick!

In my Homeschool/College
Jacob is enjoying all his classes at the community college, which began this past week.  It helps that Danny is taking Rhetoric with him.  Their teacher is rather free-spirited, and doesn't care about grammar, which of course is both good and bad.  Danny has declared that she's weird, because she showed off her new tattoo (don't worry; it was only the already-exposed shoulder), and used "colorful metaphors" (Danny's words).

Thomas and I have worked together a bit this week, easing into full-time academic work next week.  My little guy is already 14 and doing all high-school level work now, which is practically incomprehensible to me.  We've already had some good times together, and even enjoyed a walk together to the bank then the grocery store.  He was in a chatty mood.  It was fun.  'Nuff said.

In my Kitchen & Garden
I picked lots of tomatoes this week, but as I've noticed white flies here and there, I don't think I'll have too many more.  Yesterday I had a pot of tomato sauce simmering on the stove, and it went into the freezer.  The beets are actually growing--I left them in since they sat like lumps all summer.  I'll check on them in the next few weeks.  I also picked a few carrots; they were slim but not too terribly bad.  I'll let them grow some more, especially as we're supposed to have more hot weather in the next several days.

Next year I've decided to limit my three raised-bed gardens to just a few different veggies, instead of a little of everything.  It was fun to try new things, but I need a year of sticking to the basics.

I tried from memory a mostly-veggie pizza with great success, from a recipe I had lost.  You basically shred zucchini, add an egg and some Italian spices, pour it into an edged pizza pan that has been liberally sprinkled with cornmeal, and bake it for 10-15 minutes.  Then you remove it and add your normal pizza toppings; I added sauteed onions, olives, chopped green pepper, and Italian sausage from the farmer's market.  Top with sauce and cheese, and back in the oven.  It turned out fantastic.  One piece is left in the fridge, for me!  :)

At my Project Desk
I'm not a needlecraft person, and haven't really completed any other projects this week.  I did make an engagement card for the daughter of a church friend last week.  In the next few weeks I have to make a wedding card for the same young lady.  I hope to use the tissue-paper flowers she had included in her wedding invitation, as well as some of the invitation paper.  We'll see how that goes.  I always agonize over the design!

On my Nightstand
My Bible is usually the only book on my nightstand, and I've enjoyed reading through Galatians with my husband every morning at 7am.  It's a nice way to wake up--together, talk, read the Word, pray, talk some more.  I'm thankful that he has to drive only four miles to work; we usually have time to be leisurely every morning!  This week, I've expressed thanks to the Lord for not having to be under the Law.  A few verses that have stuck out:

"For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."
Galatians 3:27

"And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise."
Galatians 3:29

I've had the sense that the Lord is leading me in a different direction this year.  Just in the last three weeks, He has removed most of my tutoring jobs through one circumstance or another.  No Spanish class, no French class.  No new flute students.  And of my returning flute students, two sisters will come every once in a while, and the other one will be here every other week.  I've gone from teaching every day except Wednesday to teaching Tuesdays and Thursdays, and that only every few weeks!

My husband commented, "Y'know, the Lord gave you all that tutoring business last year, which enabled you to buy all your camera equipment.  He might be leading you in that direction."

Now, when my husband says something like that to me, I usually perk up.  Fernando is so good about keeping the extraneous out of my life, whereas I am the one who wants to say "yes" to everything.  God has given me a good protector!  So when Fernando came out with that statement, I filed it.  I'm now waiting to see what God will do in the photography department!

Typical Thomas.  It looks gross, but it's just a giant pink marshmallow.

Another benefit to "no tutoring" is that I get to spend lots of time with Thomas, who is just entering high school.  We are going to be spending lots of time together, one-on-one, and we've never had that much before.  He is such a people person, and has always stuck his elbow in on everything his three older brothers are doing.  Now he gets me all to himself.  And I get lots of him.  Thomas is my most fascinating son, in that he is always busy, and loves to laugh.  He has a quick mind, and isn't afraid to use it.  We butt heads a lot, since we're opposite in personality.  It will be interesting, and challenging, but I know the Lord has worked out my circumstances for the good of our relationship.  What a great year it will be to establish a solid one-on-one relationship with my "little guy!"  I'm looking forward to treasuring up chests-ful of memories.  :)

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

9 comments:

  1. I'll comment ahead of time, while we await Mary's WWU so we can all link in! You are such a sweetheart to call me a blog angel, LOL!

    Tell Thomas that almost every picture I see of him on your blog involves him and food...is he a teenage boy or what?

    Have a blessed weekend, and one of healing, too!
    Love you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lori! Yes in regard to Thomas. Food makes him happy. For some reason, I can't find Mary's blog any more. I'll wait for the link and see what happens...

    Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary's blog URL is in the photo you used to start your WWU post; I just tested it, and it's still there, LOL! She hasn't written/posted her WWU yet, that's all. Here's the quicklink:
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/canadagirl

    Much love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogdom. Your blog looks great. It looks like you are off to a great year.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, thanks for the welcome! I wrote you a note on your blog, but it wouldn't let me post it unless I signed in, and I don't have an account or something or other. I may try again when I have a little more patience! Thanks again!!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the Lord lead us into and out of things for different amounts of time. Little did I know when I was saying no to many things and stepping out of them last year that it would be the year for me to heal, get my baring back in my home, and get ready for my oldest son to get married. I pray blessings in where the Lord is leading you. Keep your eyes open and you will get to see how God arranges things that we could never dream of.

    I also pray blessings on your time with your 4ds. May it be a blessing to you both !

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your blog. We're kind of in the same spot at our house - My daughter is attending community college classes, so it's just me & my 12 yos most of the time.
    Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary and Janet, Thanks for posting! And thank you so much for the encouragement! I've been trying to stay afloat this week amid so many new changes and transitions. It's nice to know you all are out there with me, too. :)

    Thanks again!

    In Christ,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Christine, and welcome to bloggyland! It's so very nice to meet you - thank you for introducing yourself today. :)

    I look forward to getting to know you, and am happy to hear that you may be participating in our anti-procrastination projects with us. I encourage you to do so - only with the encouragement of Mary and Lori have I accomplished as much as I have. It's wonderful to have other 'sisters' fighting the good fight of procrastination with me. :) Welcome aboard!! Photos are not necessary, but they do provide an added push. Just a thought. Either way, welcome!!!

    Have a lovely Wednesday~
    Blessings,
    Shani

    ReplyDelete