Friday, August 27, 2010

Blueberry Breakfast Bake

blog.buttonFFG.bloggersized

Nice morning.  Aaahhh, and enjoying a cup of coffee (rare for me; it's usually tea) and a little cup of oatmeal as I sit and reflect on this past week.

Life is still overwhelming, with getting boys settled either at the junior college (Jacob full-time, Danny part-time), settled in homeschool (Danny, then Thomas full-time), and trying to help Joe feel better (bad cold, poor guy).  My arbor bench is calling, but so is my garden, the laundry, school schedules, flute arrangements for church...  I'm overwhelmed.

I recently discovered this wonderful recipe, which I've now made a handful of times, when we picked our blueberries last month.  It makes a wonderful breakfast with a little pure maple syrup drizzled over.  Or, you really could have some for dessert!  I modified the recipe, as I tend to do, to fit our nutrition needs and tastes, and here is what I came up with.

I made this up at the Lake this year, which meant I got out my camera and snapped a shot.  :)  I like the recipe because it doesn't use too many blueberries--we have to ration those to last the year--and it's just sweet enough for breakfast.  I think of it as French toast with some blueberries and cream cheese.  Yum.


Blueberry Breakfast Bake

loaf of firm bread, sliced and cubed (I use homemade fresh whole-wheat), divided
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided (can use more if you like)
6-8 ounces cream cheese (to your taste), cut in cubes
12 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup melted butter
2 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cube bread and cream cheese.  Grease (I use olive oil) 13x9 baking dish.  Place a little over half the bread cubes in the dish.  Scatter cream cheese cubes and one cup of blueberries over the bread.  Top with remaining bread cubes and blueberries.  In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, maple syrup, and butter.  Carefully pour over bread mixture.  Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about one hour, covering with aluminum foil if edges brown too much.  To serve, cut in squares.  Accompany with additional maple syrup, if desired.

The last time I made it, I ended up with too much bread; if that happens, scramble some more eggs and add them over the top.  It was still good, though.  Can blueberries be bad?!?

Time for gardening then baking bread!


Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

7 comments:

  1. No, Christine, blueberries CANNOT be bad...not ever!!! So glad you joined FFG today, this recipe looks so good :-D

    We share that overwhelmed feeling, dearest! We and several hundred others, I think...nice to know we're in good company! Maybe it's becoming clearer why you're not also tutoring 10 people this fall...I'm so glad God is in charge, aren't you?

    Love you, dearest!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lori, God is in control, and events (or the cancellation thereof!) are providential acts from my loving Lord who is leading me elsewhere. Once the craziness settles down a bit, I'll be able to see more clearly where He is leading! Life with the Lord is always fascinating. :)

    You're on my "back-to-school" prayer list!!

    Love, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blueberries are not bad actually it’s my favorite. When I’m seeing a blue berry pie I can’t resist eating it. Lol. Thanks for that recipe. I will really love to bake it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Melanie! It really is a yummy dish to make. I hope you enjoy it!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent tried using blackberries in my recipes though. I think the reason is that I am raised by an Asian aunt of mine. but I think it would be great to try this out! I would love to go ahead and try this out so I can join your conversation. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can join our conversation any time you like! Blackberries--that would probably be very delicious, too!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I ate blueberry cakes all the time but I never tried to bake my own. Actually I didn’t know the whole recipe that’s why I can’t bake it. I’m glad that you posted a recipe of it. Thanks a lot! I will surely try to bake this. Just wished me luck that I can make it perfect because I myself am not really a good baker. Lol.

    ReplyDelete