Saturday, October 9, 2010

WWU--Seek Her as Silver


Thank you, Mary, for hosting Weekly Wrap-Up!
It's time to reflect back on my week, to store up memories in my heart,
and to acknowledge the Lord's ways in my life.
To participate with us, please click on Mary's button above.


Home and School

We experienced a busy week this past week--small projects, a greater focus on homeschooling, and general home "management" duties (a..k.a. chores).  Fernando asked Joseph to help out more with chores, and he is willingly working around the house.  Jacob and Danny continue to chug along in their college Rhetoric class.  Thomas continues to check his attitude as he and I work more closely together throughout the week.  Parenthood isn't any easier now, that's for sure.  Someone once told me, "You can't have quality time without quantity time."  And Thomas and I have quantity time in abundance!

It also helps when Thomas gets to play with matches.  Come to think of it, he's really enjoying science this year...


Physical science:  Observation



My Kitchen and Garden

I already posted about my adventures in canning earlier this week, so you can click here to read about it if you wish.  My vegetable garden continues to be the Little Engine That Could!  This week, I've picked another overflowing bowl of tomatoes, plus more green beans and the rest of my basil.

Three raised-bed vegetable gardens

Tomatoes on the vine

Tomatoes, green beans, and basil

My garden-wise friend Becki gave me several cayenne peppers, which are currently drying and will soon be crushed for adding to homemade salsa.

Cayenne peppers redden as they dry
Speaking of spicy, here's a photo of the enchiladas we had for dinner a week ago.



My Project Desk

Fernando was extra thoughtful this week; he not only built me shelves for a couple of kitchen cabinets, but he hung a few things that needed hanging.  He's my hangman!

I found this wrought-iron scroll at a garage sale, and we decided it nicely dressed up the photos of our sons:

Main hallway
Then, he hung this funny sign in our back hallway, which leads to our mud room/pantry/laundry room.  We have had the sign for almost two years!!



Behind the Lens

I've been experimenting with shooting into the sun.  What appears on the finished product is not what I see when I peer through the viewfinder!  Surprises--sunspots and glare--sometimes turn an ordinary scene into something amazing.  Here is an example, with more to be posted on my photography blog later today.



Heart Thoughts

At church, Pastor Fraley has been teaching through the book of Proverbs.  As I look back on all that I've learned--and my compulsive notes all over my Bible pages--one passage stuck out, as a reminder.  I'll quote a little of it here:

My son [daughter], if you will receive my words
And treasure my commandments within you,
Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
Incline your heart to understanding;
For if you cry for discernment,
Lift your voice for understanding;
If you seek her as silver
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will discern the fear of the LORD
And discover the knowledge of God.
For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
Guarding the paths of justice,
And He preserves the way of His godly ones.
Proverbs 2:1-8 nasb with my [insert]

This passage goes on for several additional verses describing the results of seeking God's wisdom.  One aspect of the first verses is that I have to want wisdom.  I have to be intentional and deliberate about it.  Pastor Fraley talked about "seeking her [wisdom] as silver" as a very difficult process.  Isn't gold more valuable?  But silver is normally covered with gray or black material, making it very hard to find.  And once you've found it, the actual refining process is difficult and drawn out.  Such is the path of seeking wisdom.  It requires diligent investigation into God's Word.  It was good to have this reminder to seek Him this week.

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

1 comment:

  1. I just love that experiment! It's one I can watch over and over, and I have gotten the kids to do it over and over. :)

    Enjoy your nice fresh tomatoes. Our plants are all frozen up and gathered in a huge pile.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete