Friday, October 8, 2010

FFG--Soup's On!

Plans4You
Please click on Lori's button to the left to visit her blog and to participate in Friday Farm Girls at Heart!

During the fall and winter months, it's so nice to have soup for dinner.  In past years, we designated Tuesday night as soup night.  I haven't gotten into the Tuesday groove yet, but we've had soup several times now.  Homemade chicken soup is the best, and the easiest to make!

At our Farmer's Market, Fernando and I visit Eric, from Nature's Choice Farm.  They raise 100% grass-fed cattle, plus free-range chickens and pigs.  We buy their farm-fresh eggs and whatever meat we can afford  Their prices are high, but as I've heard, good food isn't cheap, and cheap food isn't good.  This time, I asked Eric for the biggest chicken he had.  Well, they raise 'em big on their farm--it was nine pounds!

On Sunday evening, I put it in a large pot, covered it with filtered water, and simmered it all night.

Chicken simmering on the stove
About lunchtime, I removed the chicken and bones from the stock, and let everything cool down a bit.  I strained the stock, return in to the pot, and de-boned and chunked up all the chicken.  I froze three portions of cooked chicken for future meals, and saved a portion for my soup.

Late afternoon Monday, I got the stock boiling again, with a little salt and organic chicken soup base added.  Once it was boiling, I added carrots chopped by Joe!  He was so sweet to help me pull out the rest of our garden carrots and wash them, too.

The remaining garden carrots

I kept this soup simple, but I love to add chopped onion, celery, and any other vegetables that I have on hand.  The stock simmered for several minutes until the carrots were tender, then I added cooked whole-wheat egg noodles (I like to cook my pasta separately, then add it to the stock).

Since you can't have chicken soup without herbs, I picked some fresh garden parsley.

Freshly chopped parsley

Thomas, my official kitchen helper for the year, added the parsley.  Not only is he my kitchen helper (it's home-ec class!), he has become my photography assistant, since I can't add parsley and take a picture at the same time.  :)

Thomas adds the parsley

When we have soup for supper, we always have a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich.  This tradition was established growing up in my family, and it is now cemented in our own family!


Soup's on!  Time for supper!

Back to life,
Christine

visit my photography blog!
captured by Christine Anne

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! Hmmmm...PB&J with any kind of soup? I guess that works! Thanks for joining me today, dearest!

    Love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes--*any* kind of soup. And we have variety: taco soup, chicken soup, tortilla soup, beef-barley soup... I could go on. Farmer Eric gave me some free beef bones for soup, too. Woohoo! :)

    Love you lady,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks YUMMY! And it brings back lots of memories...I can't count the times we've shared laughs over soup and PB&J. :)

    I agree, homemade chicken soup is the BEST. :) You inspire me!! :)

    Hope y'all are having a great October!

    Love,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Joanna, we had such a big pot of soup. Y'all could've come over and we would *still* have soup left over! I miss those "Soup and Horsefeathers" nights. Oh, and let's not forget Apples to Apples! And Scrabble, and, and...

    Love,
    Mrs. S :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love chicken soup. Your pictures are so beautiful that I can almost taste it! I've got some stock started in the slow cooker, and you've inspired me to be excited about it again.
    :)

    Blessings,

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete